Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Madeleine L'Engle: A Heroine Worth Emulating

I have a new favorite author. She wrote this:

The Wrinkle in Time quintet

“We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes.” 
― Madeleine L'Engle


Read all her quotes on goodreads.

My six-year-old and I are in the middle (well, maybe a quarter of the way into it) of A Wrinkle in Time, reading aloud. The writing during the part when they're "tesser"ing to Uriel made me swoon, so I decided to look up some of the quotes on goodreads. What I found surprised me. There are many, many quotes by her that have nothing to do with A Wrinkle in Time. She's written over SIXTY books. 

SIXTY! 

That's phenomenal. And many of her books seem to be realistic fiction, like Meet the Austins. So she wasn't restricted to one genre.

Here I am trying to write one amazing book. I mean, yes, I've written six sub-par books, but this woman wrote SIXTY books. Books that were read by lots and lots of people. She had critics. Everybody does. But she just kept writing.

*hero worship eyes*

Who are your literary heroes?

Katrina's blog pic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.