Tuesday, June 1, 2010

POLL Analysis: Your Favorite Genres to Read

What genre were the last three novels you read?

Time to dissect last week's poll! I know you're excited. Okay, not really. Nobody likes dissecting polls, but this one was at least helpful.

This poll told me what my lovely blog visitors (you!) are reading, which helps me to understand what you might like me to blog about here. Right? I hope so!

So, let's put these in order here:

1. YA/Teen
2. Mystery
3. Science Fiction
4. Tie between Fantasy and Women's Lit
5. Tie between Romance and Paranormal
6. Middle Grade/Children's
7. Horror

So, realizing that these all cross over and may have been (at times) describing the same book, it's still pretty clear that we're loving on the MYSTERIES and YOUNG ADULT stuff. This was a little bit of a surprise to me because I don't know many people who talk about the latest mystery they read.

But then I thought about it and realized that--Hey! Most books do have an element of mystery in them. In fact, all books have a mystery in the sense that the reader has to keep reading to find out what happens to the characters.

Next down on the list was science fiction, which made me smile. I love science fiction--except for that stuff which is totally plausible. I like my sci-fi to hit the weird-o-meter pretty high. :-)

Regardless of my personal tastes, I'm going to make a greater effort to read and review more mysteries and sci-fi books of the YA variety... for YOU. I hope you appreciate my sacrifice. *listens blissfully to the crickets, pretends not to notice the empty room*

Perhaps you have some suggestions for me? Maybe you happen to know of a book which combines mystery, sci-fi, AND young adult themes? Let's talk. I am dying for a good YA sci-fi cozy mystery. Well, not dying. That would be really sad.

Post your favorite mystery/scifi/YA books in the comments....now. 1,2,3,Go! Or take your time. That's fine, too.

   

3 comments:

  1. Anything from the old Asimov Foundation series! they're all mystery/sci fi and very full of weirdoness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been meaning to pick up more Asimov. Love the word "weirdoness", by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many great mysteries, and though I haven't read them in a while, I do like them. My favorite is THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE by Laurie R. King, starring Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell. Love the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.