Monday, July 4, 2011

Patriotic


I love the Fourth of July, aka Independence Day. It's got to be my favorite holiday, save Christmas only. What's not to love?

Fireworks


Sunshine and Outdoors

Bright colors

Parades


Concerts in the Park


BBQ's and Great Food




Family, if you're lucky


Flag


Of course, I've been partial to July 4th since childhood for the simple fact that my birthday is five days later on the 9th. :) I'm sure that's affected my love of Independence Day somewhat.

But really it's the feeling I get on July 4th, so much like the feelings Christmas brings: love, gratitude, pride in my culture, and plain old cheerful celebration. Every year it seems to get harder to find a professional fireworks ceremony, probably in part because we moved to California a few years back and the laws are stricter. But even on the years when my babies are too small to be up at 10pm listening to the pop-pop-pop of fireworks, I feel that same Independence Day spirit. It's love of country, yeah. But it's more than that. It's love of her people, as diverse and devoted and wonderful as they are. "The flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away." Happy Independence Day! Cheers to a country always trying to be better than its old self.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.