Monday, April 5, 2010

Writing for fun, writing for money...


Is my current project a pot-boiler just because I'm hoping to pay off family debt with it? I guess it can't really be called a pot-boiler until it's published and brings in some money. :-)

But since this is the first project in which I've really tried to follow agent and industry guidelines/trends, you could say it's fully commercial. Since I've always been a literary fiction kind of gal, I should probably be ashamed of that label. Oddly, I'm not. From everything I've learned in the past year and a half of lurking on agent blogs and writing workshops, I've come to accept that the publishing industry is looking for specific things. Does this mean I can't write my heart and soul onto the page? Maybe a little bit, but not really, no. It means that I had better be willing to revise, revise, revise, until my work meets industry standards. And it also means that my first three novels will probably never see the light of day.

Those are my musings for the day. Thank you to Twitter for connecting me with so many publishing and agency professionals. My education continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.