Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Family Reunion - Labor Day 2011


This is me (in my pajamas) after four days camping in San Diego. I'm sunburned and blonder than I've been in years. My 2-year-old, the brunette one, also looks almost blond. Fortunately, nobody got sunburned quite as much as this, but the littlest guy did get red-nosed. We're both slathering on the aloe now that we're home, and healing very fast. 

These little changes in our appearance are just a reminder of all the outdoor fun we had over Labor Day weekend. We set up tents, cooked food in foil and on roasting sticks, played at Mission Bay Park at a mini-beach, visited the Festival of Sail, toured a submarine and a couple tall "pirate" ships (I told my 4-year-old they were pirate ships),


played with animals at a petting zoo, sang songs around a campfire (took requests from the people camped next door, who just happened to be Mormon, too, so they requested hymns by the hymn number), went to Balboa Park, rode the trolley, saw the Botanical Gardens, visited the International Cottages, watched a lame street magician, walked through Old Town California, listened to awesome wood instruments playing Mexican music while our toddlers and preschoolers danced, drank exotic slushies, saw the Mormon Battalion visitor's center (very cool if you're into California/Mexican/American/Mormon history, or even if you're not), panned for gold, and had our own talent show by the fireside. By the way, my brother's amateur magic show was way better than that street magician in Balboa Park. :) All in all, it was a fantastic time. We were never bored, and we were frequently outside, which is an awesome place to be when you're in sunny California. 

The flowers! Oh, the flowers. And the trees... It's just an amazing, beautiful place.




If you ever have a chance to visit San Diego in all its artsy, historic, natural glory, I definitely recommend it. Our camping reunion was made a little more glamorous because of it. 

What did you do over Labor Day weekend? Did you get sunburned?

8 comments:

  1. Awwww! Look at the little pirate! *squee* He's so adorable. And isn't San Diego so fun? I went for a week in July and I never wanted to leave.

    I actually did not get sunburned for once, despite the fact that I am the whitest white girl to ever live. I visited my parents in Florida, and I spent most of the time shopping with my mom, watching movies, and eating delicious food. It was a wonderfully relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, you're gonna have to fight me for the title of whitest white girl ever to live! :)

    Florida + family sounds like so much fun! And I'm so glad you didn't get sunburned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great vacation, even with the sunburn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love San Diego! It's one of my favorite places!

    Sorry about the sunburn. :-( Ouchie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun!! I'm so glad you got to do that with your family! (And I agree with Becky--that pirate is the cutest thing ever!)

    I too got sunburned over Labor Day weekend, but unfortunately it's because I was working. Yes, on Labor Day haha. But it was the BYU women's soccer game against Arizona, and we won!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot!! Go Cougars! We can recover from sunburns together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.