Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Time to Cave and Read Hunger Games!

I'm feeling a little left out today. There's been a moment of blog silence in the writing/reader blogosphere for the release of Suzanne Collins' final book in the Hunger Games trilogy...

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)

Why haven't I read Hunger Games yet? Humm....

I'm afraid of the dark.
There it is. I said it.
I need comic relief. Need it! "Relief" is the operative word. I can handle a bit of darkness, a bit of dystopia. In fact, I crave it. Without conflict, there's no catharsis.

So when I first heard about Hunger Games, my first thought (which later became a pleading question) was is there any humor in it?

Over and over again, the response I got was, "Well, it's pretty dark, but it's so good!"

Finally, today I got the answer I wanted. "Yeah! Not much, but there's some humor," followed up by, "It may be hard for you to read, but you'll care about the characters."

Well, I've finally decided to read it. I am still afraid of the dark, but I can't resist the cry of lovable characters. It's what keeps me watching a TV series long after the writing has gone bad and the plot caput. It's what made Twilight what it is and, apparently, Hunger Games as well.

So with some trepidation I go...wish me luck. I'll leave the nightlight on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I followed you over here from Nathan's blog, because I read your comment, and I just wanted to let you know that I totally agreed with your statement :) It was because the agent started bashing religion that I started to realize it was more about making fun than helping authors.

    Also, I haven't read Hunger Games either! I keep hearing everyone talk about it, and I decided I would finally read it, but the library has a gazillion holds and it looks like I'll have to buy it and just hope that it's good enough for my personal collection. So you're not alone - there are others out there who haven't read it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiana, hi! I saw you over there, too and appreciate your comments! You said it, about the line between educating and just plain being mean. I haven't always been so discriminating in where I sought writerly entertainment, but it's a new goal. Surrounding ourselves with positive people surely helps in a multitude of ways!

    About HG, we definitely have to buy it. Libraries are only good for books people are tired of reading. :-) I could not, for the life of me, find Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Multiple holds. But I've rarely regretted buying a book. I hope that's true for the Hunger Games series because I bought all three! :-)

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Speak up! You will be heard...or read.