My new work-in-progress is dark. One of the primary themes is darkness vs. light, heaven vs. hell, and so on and so forth. Above is my mock cover, just playing around on picnik.com. If you're wondering what that blob is, it's a planet shaped into a human heart, bursting with light (which is actually more than just a theme in the story; it's a paranormal element).
So I'm not much of a cover designer... BUT I did go ahead and redecorate my blog and I'm happy with the way it turned out (thank you, thecutestblogontheblock.com). More importantly, Lucy likes it.
I hope you don't hate me for ditching the orange swirls. I do still love them, but while that cheerful vibe matched my last MC, Lucy needed something a little more subdued. Here's what I've discovered about her so far:
- Dreads conflict and avoids it at all costs, mostly due to her empath abilities.
- Usually succeeds in blending in, which also helps in avoiding conflict.
- Loves, loves, loves old books - if they're falling apart, even better.
- Doesn't like eating in public, but enjoys going dancing with her best friends.
- Is bold and funny around her closest friends.
- Secretly wants to be an actress like her late mother, but is terrified to try.
- Didn't do anything to stand out in high school and regrets it.
- Can be very irresponsible when tempted.
- More prone to guilt and sympathy than normal people.
- Could eat Smooth and Melty Mints all day.
- Believes in fate and soulmates, and has trouble seeing beyond that box.
- Sings like an angel, but never performs.
- Is completely powerless when it comes to the magic touch of a certain charming devil.
Also, she likes old movies, especially of the vampire variety. I've had a lot of fun getting to know Lucy and the people she surrounds herself with. I hope someday to introduce her to you more formally.
Until then, keep on writing and I'll do the same! Done any characterization exercises lately?
Happy Weekend, Blog Buddies!!